Friday, September 18, 2009

Pitaya Flower Close Up

Two more pitaya flowers bloomed the night of the recent full moon. I took some photos at intervals as they opened up, over approximately three hours. The first picture I took just after dark when I noticed the blooms opening.


The flowers open up with the rising full moon.




By morning they are closing up again.

They are such intriguing flowers. They have a sea anemone in the middle!

The bees made the most of the limited treats.




It has been over a week since I took these photos, and both flowers have withered up and fallen to the ground. I have noticed a nasty vine wrapping itself around the pitaya plant on the other side of the wall, but without access to its base to remove the vine, I am afraid it might choke the plant. I just thought I would share these photos. I took the night shots, Pablo caught the early morning shots, complete with busy little bees.

No comments: