Thursday, June 10, 2010

Friday's International Holiday

Tomorrow marks the beginning of the COPA MUNDIAL, The World Cup Soccer Championship in South Africa....and I think it's an unwritten international holiday.  The opening ceremonies begin at 7:00am Mérida time (CST), and Mexico plays in the first game against South Africa team Bahana Bahana at 9:00am.

The South Africans and Mexico have a rivalry from Mundiales past, and from the news I read on the home site of the CUP, Bahana Bahana doesn't look as strong as Mexico. The word on the blogs is, Mexico is coming in with a powerful young team this year.  In my house there are four Mexican guys, three of which I doubt will be "feeling well enough" to work tomorrow.  Pablo was advised in advance that he'd better show up on Friday. I picture the scene around here with two or three TVs blasting the games and lots of screaming, and consuming of cerveza for the next month. It is sure an emotional game for its fans. 

I have never watched a World Cup Soccer meet, I don't know the rules of futbol soccer, I don't know the star players, or the rivalries; I am totally soccer illerate - until tomorrow.  When we have watched an occasional soccer game on TV, I've usually pick up a book to read instead.  Up until now I have been soccer stupid.  I plan to learn about the game during this coming month of soccer innundation on TV.  After all, I have introduced Pablo to American Football, and he has endured three seasons of up to 5 games a week of games televised  locally with me, so it's only fair that I learn the rules of Mexico's favorite game.

Opening ceremonies are always fantastic, and I plan to watch them early tomorrow morning.  I was very disappointed to miss so much of the Winter Olympics.  They showed the opening ceremonies on an obscure channel at a strange time of night.  Maybe since Mexico doesn't participate (much or at all?) in the winter sports they are not too keen to televise many of the games.  I am hoping to make up for lost opening ceremonies with tomorrow's celebration. 

Let the games begin!  Oh, that is the opening of the Olympics, I guess I don't know what they scream to start the soccer matches.  I can't wait to hear the sound of the announcement of Mexico's first "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLnonononononononoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

No comments: