Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Outside Bathroom


This round building used to be the water cistern for the house. The former owners turned it into a bathroom. It was functional when I bought the house, but was full of old junk, had no windows, etc. We installed colored glass windows, painted the interior, put a SEAT on the toilet and put some plastic sea creatures around the walls. It is convenient to have a bathroom accessible to the swimming pool. More than that, this particular room is a conversation piece. Other Mérida homeowners have remarked "Wow! What a great idea for the old cistern. We have one and I didn't know what to do with it."
As in all of the outdoor patio decoration, color coordination was out of the question. Anything goes! The more colorful, the better!

The round item in the center is the (freezing cold) shower head. All around the circular walls are tropical fish that we found at ServiStar, a fun store full of imported junky nicnacs. (Or is that knickknacks??) I even found a HUMUHUMUNUKUNUKUAPUAA! Check it out:
This is the humuhumunukunukuapuaa, the state fish of Hawaii, if I lost you above. It is a triggerfish.
Ok, so it's tacky. I think it is also fun. Maybe I should put up plaques with the fish names and make it a museum. I'm not sure about that but I do think I should get more tacky plastic sea creatures and fill the walls.

No comments: